Schiller House

The transition from the courtly to the burgeois culture gradually took place at Rudolstadt, during the last third of the 18th century.

A change in culture and mind began slowly, influenced by the liberal parts of the nobility, and favoured by the wealth of the middle classes and higher revenues of the court.

A circle of well known scholars and nobles formed around Ludwig Wilhelm of Beulwitz, privy councillor at that time who had been in princely commission since 1774. The house of the Beulwitz couple and the ladies of Lengefeld, in the former “new newtown” (nowadays Schiller street), came regularly together for an unconstrained exchange of ideas. This varied circle – Charlotte of Lengefeld and Caroline of Beulwitz participated as young ladies – did not only conduct serious conversations but also amused itself with afternoon get-togethers at the bordering garden of the Lengefeld family.

When Friedrich Schiller met Charlotte of Lengefeld and Caroline of Beulwitz at the Beulwitz’ house in 1787 he was fascinated by the open minded mental atmosphere.

Since this first meeting the poet stayed at Rudolstadt several times until 1799. Especially during his first long term stay at the small residence from 19th May to 12th November in 1788, the so called “Rudolstädtian summer”, his passion for Caroline and Charlotte awaked. This period inspired his authorial work and provided him with courage and confidence.

Today the house of the Lengefeld and Beulwitz families is one of the rare authentic Schiller sites in Germany. Numerous findings discovered during the renovation of the house from 2005 to 2009 enabled a realistic reconstruction of the rooms and wall designs of the 18th century.

The museum was opened on 9th May 2009. The exhibition entirely focuses on Schiller’s time in Rudolstadt, his relationships with the sisters of Lengefeld and his first meeting with Goethe at this house on 7th September in 1788.

Famous people, such as Wilhelm von Humboldt, his brother Alexander and Novalis, were guests in the house. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe also visited the Lengefeld-Beulwitz family and met Schiller here for the first time on 7 September 1788.

Source: Schiller House in Rudolstadt

Schiller has been called the “poet of freedom”.

Three Words Of Strength:
by Schiller

There are three lessons I would write,
Three words, as with a burning pen,
In tracings of eternal light,
Upon the hearts of men.
Have hope.
Though clouds environ round
And gladness hides her face in scorn,
Put off the shadow from thy brow;
No night but hath its morn.
Have faith.
Where’er they bark is driven
The calm’s disport, the tempest’s mirth
Know this:
God rules the hosts of heaven,
The inhabitants of earth.
Have love.
Not love alone for one,
But man, as man, thy brother call;
And scatter, like a circling sun,
Thy charities on all.

Beethoven said to his biographer “I have it! I have it! Let us sing the song of the immortal Schiller!” An unfinished novel, Die Geisterseher, and the “Ode to Joy” by Schiller was used for Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony.

“Ode to Joy” (German: “An die Freude” first line: “Freude, schöner Götterfunken”) is an ode written in the summer of 1785 by poet, playwright, and historian Friedrich Schiller and published the following year. A slightly revised version appeared in 1808, changing two lines of the first and omitting the last stanza.

Liebstedt

The castle in Liebstedt is one of the few remaining castles, where an old trading route passed through the castle. One of the major medieval long distance roads, the Copper Road Kufperstrasse connected Venice and Hamburg.

“Margrave Friedrich von Meissen exchanges the Teutonic Knightly Order village and fort of Liebstedt with its church rights and all that belongs to it for the fortress of the Order Wallhausen.” deed dated 1 October 1331.

Construction with bricks was introduced by order of the German Knights, who constructed many of their castles in Brandenburg and on the Baltic coast with bricks.

Liebstedt_Luftaufnahme_rdax_275x192

A system of wet and dry moats and earth walls was constructed around the castle. The lines of these fortifications can still be seen around the castle.

courtyard

The settlement “Liuprehtestat” was first mentioned in 876 in the annals of the monastery of Fulda. In August 956 “King Otto leaves for love of his daughter Mathilde the Monastery Quedlinburg from his property in the community of Liebstedt in Thuringia”.

The Quedlinburg Monastery survived here until 1300. This possession was then sold to Pforta Monastery on the River Saale. After four years, in 1304 the Herzfeld Monastery became owner of Liebstedt. Thereafter the county of Orlamünde-Weimar, the counts of Beichlingen and the Margrave of Meissen were by turns lords of Liebstedt.

The Teutonic order was disbanded in 1809 by Napoleon. After the Vienna Congress in 1815 the land passed to the Duchy of Sachsen Weimar Eisenach. With the foundation of Thuringia in 1920 the land was given to the new state. After 1946 the land changed ownership to the university of Leipzig.

A foundation was created in 1990 to restore the castle for use as a museum.

Garden Gnomes

Garden Gnome Museum
The Gräfenroda company of Griebel can look back on a long tradition of production of garden gnomes.

Philipp Griebel founded his own company back in 1874 and was involved in work on development of the famous garden gnome from 1880 to 1890.

In the museum today, visitors can follow both the history of the company and the story of this lovable little fellow, from an animal and a fairytale figure to a garden gnome, and can judge the quality of the gnomes for themselves.

Source: Garden Gnome Museum

Fröbelspur Bad Blankenburg

Friedrich Froebel moved to Blankenburg in January 1837 and lived in this house until June 1846, while devoting himself to young children and creating Kindergarten.
Between May 1837 and 1850, the play gifts designed by Froebel (balls, spheres, cubes) were made in this house by master carpenter Löhn, assisted by artisans and women of the village.
Monument in the park where Friedrich Froebel held kindergarten games.

Fröbel-Spur Bad Blankenburg – Willkommen auf der Website der Grundschule “Friedrich Fröbel”!.

Break::The::Box

Frank Lloyd Wright ushered in Modernism when he began to design from geometric abstraction rather than traditional stylistic forms.

S. Lloyd Natof, furniture designer, woodworker and Wright’s great-grandson has a unique perspective on Wright’s furniture.